Sunday, June 10, 2012

Portlynn Tagavi - Assignment 1 - ACTOIN STUDY (Star Wars)

So here you go Dave. 























It was really weird to not just copy what was going on exactly and try to think of them as if the movie wasn't made yet. after a while it got easier and i didn't want to stop, but i still don't think i really broke into that mind set of not just copying the frame.

Learned lots about cutting though! and I'm excited about doing some more studies, action scenes are fun, but weird.  When they were fighting I wasn't sure how detailed I needed to be with the specific fight moves. like with every hit, did i need to board it? I'm so used to making animatics that it's still a grey area for me of how many boards i need to do to say something.

p.s. I do see the movement of the characters across the page, it's really cool how that works!

Questions
1. When you're doing a fight scene or an action scene of any kind, do you board absolutely everything as if it were the movie(each swing of the saber), or just enough to get the story across?

2. And when doing shots that involve a moving camera, how do you board that. do you have an in between board to indicate the camera shift or when you're pitching do you just say that to the audience?

3. Also with moving objects. like something flying in the air or jumping or falling. can you have arrows indicating the direction or is that not allowed, because i read in a book that it wasn't good to do that?


Sorry for all these questions.
Thanks so much Dave for taking the time to look over this!

8 comments:

  1. good idea on coloring the lightsabers! makes it clearer - haha i struggled with that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go portlynn!!!!! These are really clear, good job. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you either to not tone and stuff and doing it on paper. Proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portlynn,

    Nice thumbs.
    I think your acting was successful like Louis'

    please read my Louis critique and you'll see the general notes that apply to all of you.

    One thing here is you need to loosen up a bit. I prefer sharpee or felt tip marker or pen to do thumbnails. I didn't specify this but pencil seems to hold us back with mental commitment to gesture.

    you're gestures are a bit too stiff so if you loosen up and feel the movement in the action you'll see you're thumbnails move better. If you start stiff in thumbnails you don't get the inspiration to make you final boards spontaneously flow.

    Many times my thumbnails are more vibrant than my final boards and I religiously refer back to the thumbs to see what I was trying to convey. So use a pen or sharpee and think "GESTURE"

    You nailed the Luke acting and the eyes in your thumbs! that was great. now if you can merge that with you gestures and choreography in the movement you're going to see a major difference!

    good pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Answers to your questions;

    1. you board enough to get the story across. so if the story point needs a swing of the saber to tell a specific idea or point that will affect the story then you draw it.

    2. I always draw the camera move. Don't leave it up to the imagination of someone else. Show them you're cinematography and why through your storytelling and camera work.

    3. for thumbnails yes you can use arrows if you need them.
    For final boards never use arrows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave! Really helpful crit! I'll use a pen or sharpie next time haha.

    Do you suggest that i go out and do gesture studies in general in pen or sharpie? I do tend to get really stiff and i think maybe if i start drawing with a more permanent medium that that might loosen me up.
    I was going to upload my gestures soon, and i was hoping you could give me a critique on them, or maybe help me with some places that i'm not focusing on or not think of.

    Thanks DAVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must do gesture drawing. it shows in your sketches that you arent doing it enough.
    Always thumbnail in pen. it makes you commit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must do gesture drawing. it shows in your sketches that you arent doing it enough.
    Always thumbnail in pen. it makes you commit.

    ReplyDelete